Tuesday, May 15, 2012

To Be or Not to Be..."JUST a Mom"



During the past few months I have been struggling with how others view stay at home parents.  Namely THIS stay at home parent. It's not all about me, that isn't what I mean.  But without taking a poll of stay at home parents I am all I have to go on.  I have heard little comments here or there that have gotten me thinking (and over thinking) about this subject.  Now, maybe some of you more experienced Mommies (that have kids older than mine) have already thought this through, dealt with it in your own way and moved on.  Maybe this is my "turn" to do that.  Maybe it is yet another of those "things" no one tells you about before you decide to stay at home.  Whatever the case, it has been on my mind.  Then I read this blog post from a blog I follow.  It put into words all that I had been feeling.  If you get a chance to read it, please do.  It doesn't matter if your a new parent or one that has grandchildren, it will make you realize you are "More than JUST a Mom".  
After reading the post I didn't feel like I needed to defend my decision to stay at home with my kids any longer.  Yes...It is enough for me to stay at home with them and nurture them.  It is enough for me to be paid with smiles, hugs, kisses and sweet comments like "Mommy, you make my hawt so happy".  It is enough for me to attempt to make my mark on society by the way that my kids are raised.  It is enough for me to have this priceless opportunity to be what these lovies need me to be.  Now, whether that is bottom (among other things) wiper, entertainer, cook, seamstress, cleaning service, audience, cheerleader, good cop/bad cop, listening ear or shoulder to cry on I am happy to have it be enough for me.  These people...






look to me for a lot right now.  One day it will probably be less but right now it is a lot.  Some days I welcome the challenge, others I struggle to hang with them. None the less, I hope I show them (and the rest of the world) that their sweet faces and smiles that I have the OPPORTUNITY to see grow (ever too quickly) are what I hope and pray will be my positive mark on society.  So incase you are a stay at home Mom (because I don't know any stay at home dads that read my blog) props to you!!!  YOU are more than just a Mom, you are a shaper of little lives.  And THAT is the most important job I can think of.  









2 comments:

  1. Of course you know that I'm not a stay at home mom, but I definitely envy you and all of the other moms who are blessed to be able to share your days raising your kids! Being a mom is definitely the toughest...and most rewarding job on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great mom! It's definitely not the easiest thing to do but certainly the most rewarding. And I thought I appreciated it to its fullest before I was one too, but I don't think it's possible to realize how much goes into it until you live it (as is the case with just about anything).

    ReplyDelete